Right Here, right Now:
A Winter Adventure in Curiosity & Creative Action
February 6-10, 2019
Ocean Grove, NJ
In September 2018, Maya began a daily writing practice on Facebook called “Right here, right now.” Rather than focusing on the craft of writing itself, she turned her attention instead to whatever it was that came into view. Whether it was a physical object or sensation, an internal musing, a memory, or something that defied categorization or context, she wrote it down.
The practice gave Maya new insight into the value of leaning into the dance of the mind, following the impulse of attention. Writing daily in this way was infectious - Maya kept wanting to do it - and along the way she gathered a community of fellow noticers equally transfixed by the potent material of the present tense. The practice has continued since she began, with daily postings.
This February, Maya is offering an opportunity to gather for four days of “Right here, right now” exploration.
• a winter getaway to refresh, restore, and sustain your spirit
• twice-daily writing gatherings and (optional) sharing
• daily adventures and photo walks to discover the beachside communities of Ocean Grove, Asbury Park, and more
• safe and supportive risk-taking (Think impromptu a capella singing on the boardwalk, a daredevil dip in the waves, or creating a piece of public art.)
• collaborative, experiential spontaneity (What do you want to do in the moment? Let’s do it together!)
• an intimate gathering space to claim, celebrate, and magnify your creative potential
“Right here, right now” - the practice and this winter’s retreat - is about what happens in the spur of a moment’s curiosity, and what it means to honor the intelligence and instruction of our attention. Our time together will include invitations to navigate the unplanned and unexpected. Participants will come away with a sense of possibility, and feel the electrical current of our own power, and how they might continue to use, or find new ways of applying it in the narrative of their lives at home.
This will be a small gathering - the retreat size is limited to 12. We will be staying in a former B&B one block from the ocean. Shared and single-occupancy accommodation (with private bath) are available. $1,095-$1,420 includes the retreat cost, lodging and most meals. A commuter option is available at a reduced rate for those within driving distance.
Deposits to hold your space are as follows:
• $250 (commuters)
• $350 (shared room / shared bath)
• $500 (private room / private bath)
Deposits refundable up to 28 days prior to retreat. Remaining payments due 14 days before retreat begins; payment plans are available by request.
Any questions? Write to Maya. Or you can skip ahead and send a deposit (below) to secure your spot. More details and schedule to come!
“Right here, right now” is:
• a daily practice of observation
• an invitation to listen, explore, create, trust, and devote attention to the present tense
• a way of honoring the natural rhythms of our thoughts, feelings, experiences, and actions
• a communal gathering space for reflection and truth-telling
• a celebration of the unfolding narrative of who we are, what we believe, and how we understand the world we live in
• a container for courage, curiosity, and connection