Our fifth chakra is the chakra central to our communication. The throat. It's the one that governs our expression, and it's the gateway between our heads and our hearts. We can keep our throat chakra unblocked and in balance by expressing ourselves creatively, by being true to ourselves without losing sight of the world around us. We balance our fifth chakra through storytelling, writing, poetry, and making music and art.
Today we kept our throat chakra in balance by:
- Making laughter milkshakes in yoga and shouting "yes" and "no" while moving between cat and cow poses.
- We experimented with writing messages in white crayon on white paper and then allowing others to "reveal" our message with watercolor paint. Dream big. Don't rush. Be the change you wish to see in the world.
- Writing stories using paint chip colors as inspiration and then making collages to go with the story. At the end of the day each of the girls got the opportunity to read their story out loud and share their words and images with the group.
- Making squares for a "Happiness Quilt" our friend, Munira Bootswala is helping us put together. Eventually more squares will be added by members of the community and we will begin to map the happiness around us.
- Putting together fantastical headdresses made of feathers and dried flowers and shells, ribbon and lace and pom poms.
- The most gorgeous "Om" breathed at the end of the day just as the sun peered back through the clouds.
Our Fifth Chakra is important. It teaches us that we can say things cruelly, or clearly.
We can blame or we can take responsibility for ourselves.
We can be centred and grounded, or head over heels.